Casio EX-FH100 and EX-F1 Shutter Release/Video/USB Pinout

I love the Casio EX-FH100. I hate proprietary bullshit. It’s tremendously aggravating when a manufacturer arbitrarily makes up a new connector — especially when we have perfectly good standard connectors already. Proprietary bullshit stokes my rebel spirit, makes me fighty, makes me hack.

I know there’s plenty of interest in this information. I know because I, for one, was interested, and went looking. I found that people had discovered a few interesting things — among them that the remote for the F1 also works with the FH100. I also went asking for help from people close to the problem — and got zero response, which also aggravates the hell out of me. But I have a somewhat exaggerated ability to transmogrify aggravation into positive action. So action, it is. To be clear- this is no great hack. Rather, it is the inverse of a labor of love.

Gather your tools.

Make a micro-probe from a single strand of wire.

Get your fighting knife and cut in.

Check the silkscreen. Pinout:Half_Shut, Shutter, and GND. But we already knew that. How do they correspond to the pins on the connector?

Probe it. Continuity between pins in the connector and traces on the circuit board, that’s what we’re lookin’ for.

The shutter release cable:

The video cable:

The USB cable:

It is interesting that there are several pins which are not used in any of these three functions. I’d be surprised if they didn’t put the camera into some kind of service mode or something. Also, given that the pins are populated on the video cable, it seems possible to create a shutter release using that cable if you don’t have one, even though you’d probably have to cut all the way down to the connector to access those pins.

That’s all for now. Will cross-post this since it is camera related.

There are a bunch of higher-resolution images, including images of the EX-F1 and EX-FH100 connector here.

This entry was posted in HardwareHacking, Oversight. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Casio EX-FH100 and EX-F1 Shutter Release/Video/USB Pinout

1. samh says:

I see that you and I carry the same fighting knife and I presume that neither you nor I has ever used it for fighting anything other than pesky cardboard boxes or some piece of problematic proprietary object bullshit.

I particularly like the layout of textual commentary you added to the photos, Dan. Your artistic skills rival your technical skills.

- Sam

I once used it to fight the cap off a bottle of beer. Sometimes I switch it up and carry this knife.

Glad you dig the commentary + text approach, Sam.

3. Robbie says:

I appreciate the humor in this. I also hate proprietary connectors because I always lose them.

Thanks, Robbie. Totally agree — that’s what got me started on this project originally. I lost my remote and couldn’t replace it. I ended up finding one on eBay after several months of looking, and thought I’d share the info as widely as possible so other people wouldn’t have the same problem.

5. samh says:

I see the current post is following suit to this one. I don’t even have an interest in pocket oscilloscopes but I still enjoyed reading it.

6. ralph says:

Thanks. I’m not big technically, but does this mean that knowing which pins are assigned to which functions on the EX-FH100, someone could use the ‘proprietry’ usb cable and write an intervelometer program, aka the canons?

Yes, you could do that. Or you could just short the pins together with a switch, and trigger two at once!

8. Miko.Del says:

When I first looked at the connector, I didn’t believe my eyes. I thought “This CANNOT be proprietary, CAN IT??!?????”

I am thankful that I am not alone, incensed by such flagrant disregard of design standards and common practices. I wonder how much revenue the “genius” at Casio who designed the garbage connector thinks he can generate? I hate lack of consideration. I truly do HATE when people do not think of others, especially when it’s purposeful and could just as easily have been done right.

I can only agree. The most painful part is that it would almost certainly have been cheaper to do it right.

10. Jeana says:

This is very interesting, You’rе an overly skilled blogger.

І haνe joined ƴoսr feed and look forward to in tɦe hunt
    fοr extra of your great post. Аlso, I have shared ƴοur website (Jeana)
    іn my social networks

11. DasKleineTeilchen says:

works also with the FC100; thank you so much for the connector-wiring dan, cause in lack of the remote-cable I’d hade to made ones out of the usb and av-cable (which means, I had to cut down to the very root of the connector, the tiny, ultra-little clips).

12. DasKleineTeilchen says:

I’m german and its damn early here right now (sun’s coming up) so please dont mention my broken english ;)

13. DasKleineTeilchen says:

whats about that robotSpam above my comment?