Singer Librascope, Glendale, California 2011

Southern California – infamous for entertainment, fake-faced hedonism, fast moving garbage. That fantastic apparition emerged from the carcass of the military-industrial complex. Near my workplace, a building had its facade ripped off – and inside was a king-hell war factory, a maker of computers and displays for missiles and submarines. Singer Librascope.

This company was, at some point, acquired by Lockheed Martin.

Looks a little sorry these days, sitting next to the place where straight-to-DVD movies are made.

A ramp on the side so you could drive a crane up top:

All that’s left now is paint.

Well, paint and a whole lot of memory – Librascope vets had the good sense to scan all their Librazettes and put pictures online. These things happened in that building.

Interesting.

8 Responses to Singer Librascope, Glendale, California 2011

1. Sue says:

I like the idea of a “bubble memory”. Would that be comparable to a flash drive?

2. claudia says:

So, are they going to keep the Singer sign? I’ve been watching the construction and so far it looks like they are building around it.
    C.

3. Kathleen says:

I am trying to find this building as my uncle used to work there in 1957. Can someone post the address? Thanks.

4. Val says:

Hi Kathlereen, the address is : 833 Sonora Ave. Glendale CA 90201. I was working
    there to. It was an good company to work for.

5. bernard cleyet says:

I worked for a year (ca 1962) at Librascope in the applied research dept. About five of us w/ Herman Graaf the “boss”. Next door was the other research dept. w/ only two or three. They had an LGP-30, which I used a coupala times. I prob. would have been there if I’d had an MA or MS. I left to earn my MA (Physics) at UCSB.

bc remembers fondly.

6. Leslie Petoski (Bovard) says:

My parents, Peter G. Bovard and Karla C. Bovard both worked for Librascope in the early 60’s. My father was a tech writer and my mother was a tech illustrator. She was a looker and 5 years senior to my father who was smitten the moment he saw her. It was during one of their “coffee/cigarette” breaks that my dad worked up the nerve to approach my mom, (apparently with a bit of nudging from a mutual friend of theirs). They were thick as thieves from that moment on and were married in August, 1960. They went on to have 4 children, 3 daughters and 1 son, 10 grand children, and 2 great grand children. Karla passed away suddenly and unexpectedly in December of 2009 of a brain aneurysm. Peter Bovard is 82 this year and looks forward to seeing mom again – and Jesus 🙂

Hi Leslie, thank you for sharing that story. And thanks to all the other commenters here as well.