Brother HL2270DW Toner Cartridge Reset Procedure

Have a Brother HL2270DW laser printer. Great printer, except that the starter cartridge lasted a measly 210 pages.

First, I tried this. Which didn’t work.
Then I ordered these inexpensive replacement cartridges from Amazon. Wish me luck.
Then I found this solution, which works. The post, originally by Phiolle, says:

Please do the following steps to reset the toner sensor.

- Open the front cover and leave open while completing the following steps.
- Turn the printer off.
- Hold the ‘go’ button while turning the printer on. All lights should be on.
- Release the ‘go’ button (or “start’ button).
- Press the ‘go’ button (or “start’ button) 2 times.
- Pause. All panel lights should be on.
- Press the ‘go’ button (or “start’ button) 5 times.
The toner light should be off. (error may be flashing)
The paper light should be on or flashing.
- Close cover. The ready light should be the only light on.

It works. Quoted here for posterity and google-ability.

143 Responses to Brother HL2270DW Toner Cartridge Reset Procedure

1. brother says:

Thank You somuch for your help. ur solution really worked.

2. Bhim says:

It worked

Thanks Daniel

3. sdf says:

NICE JOB!!!!!!

4. saratoh says:

THX! This save my life before I have my test!

5. Rennae says:

Awesome thanks :)

6. shop@thecobrasnake.com says:

dude you are a genius
    life hacker expert
    this is the best trick ever!

7. Lyle Gibson says:

For the larger toner cartridge you need to press the button 6 times not 5.

8. Walter Ezell says:

I have done this before and it worked. This time I got a flashing error light. On the Brother website I went to FAQ under support for this printer and found step by step instructions for fixing this under the question “The Error LED is flashing.”

9. I have a printer, but my printer cartridge are eaten rat that’s been destroyed so what can I do?

10. les stennett says:

Works, i pressed the go button 6 times. Thanks

11. isra! says:

funciona funciona funciona!

12. isra! says:

i forgot to say thanks! thanks so much!

13. John Knowlton says:

Unbelievable! I don’t know how on earth you found this out but thank you sooooo much!!

John

14. Bill says:

Tried every single one of the solutions suggested here. Not a single one has worked. Finally I go into the printer utility for the printer driver. I discover a link to a troubleshooting site on Brother’s website. I go through their steps. Nothing worked. Problem still there.

I continue to dig deeper into their suggested “solutions.” I start finding that some of their instructions bear no resemblance to the machine I have. For example, they say the toner cartridge snaps into place using a green lever on the lefthand side of the machine. But there IS no green lever on the left side of my Brother HL-2270DW wireless printer. Likewise, they say the corona wire on the cartridge must be cleaned by dragging the green key across it several times. But there IS no green key on the Brother TN420 cartridge that I purchased at Office Depot for fifty bucks, the one that supposedly goes with this machine.

So let’s be honest: if users buy a printer and keep running into the same problem, and there’s a thread a thousand miles long on suggested ways to workaround that problem, some of which work and some don’t, and some of them suggest you have to take screws out of the toner cartridge and wind gears and such, and others suggest going into the Internet and server settings, and having done these various things the printer still may or may not work—if a problem is that complicated, time-consuling, and widespread, then I suggest, my friends, that such a printer is flawed, and the only decent thing for the manufacturer to do is to put out a recall and either fix the problem once and for all, or else refund the customer’s money.

Of course that will never happen. Which leaves us to only one final conclusion: the Brother HL-2270DW wireless printer is a piece of crap.

15. Dottie says:

Wow! worked the first try. Thank you

16. Screwed Daily says:

Everything always worked perfectly til people screw me over and over. I always chose the highest quality for everything, but it don’t matter when multiple people’s life enjoyment is screwing mine up. Like every other screw job from getting lemons on cars, to having body shops just pad my car instead of new parts, to having someone forge my signature to steal my business, bank account, and every asset, to having my identity stolen 3 times, and being hacked on every computer I ever get and have bank accounts stolen, and clients info stolen, to not even being able to take a shit without someone watching on their devices they broke in my house and planted. Eventually they will get bored with my boring life. Tomorrow is a doozzy be sure to be tuned in extra hard you might see me scratching my butt.

17. suj says:

Hi, I need help pls. The drum and toner lights still blinking after the procedure. I also tried cleaning the Corona wire. But whilst doing it i found a tiny wire with a circular at one end. It came loose. Appreciate any advise pls.

18. NPB says:

After thinking my cartridges were bad – I tried this. So far – it works!
    THANK YOU!

19. Kerri Patrick says:

Wow this worked. Thank you!

20. Nexus Tek says:

Thank you for the professional and knowledgeable info.

21. a horse barn says:

Some tips in this article are unquestionably the most impressive I’ve ever read!

22. More Here says:

It is hard to locate knowledgeable individuals on this, but you sound like you know what you are writing about! Thanks

23. Wow, I loved your neat article.

24. EZSolution says:

Hey! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the good information you’ve right here on this post. I will be returning again to your website soon.

25. You definitely know how to find the right topic to write about and make it important. I cannot believe you’re not more popular because you definitely have the what it takes.

26. I’m typically blogging and I really respect your content!

27. My printer was cannon last few days ago, my cartridges are detected some problem I change my cartridges, but problem not solved so what can I do please help me? I buy my cartridges this website, I contact them Help center, but they are no informing me.

28. Your own individual understanding and kindness in dealing with this subject was valuable.

29. Marcoa says:

Worked perfectly! Tks a lot!

30. Monica Ricci says:

Bummer! I felt sure it would work and it didn’t! I even tried it both ways, hitting the GO button five times and then again tried it by hitting the GO button six times. STILL every time I hit PRINT I get the bouncing icon and a window that pops up telling me toner is low. Despite that warning, it still prints, thank God. But I can’t clear that stupid warning message. (I just replaced the toner cartridge a few months ago so I KNOW it isn’t low)

31. asdf says:

THANKS YOU!

32. Bryan says:

Thanks for the great tip. I suppose the printer would keep on printing until the toner was actually used up but the annoying toner light is now off and everything seems to work fine. Really appreciate the info. A lot of people would probably run out and buy a new/refurbed cartridge at the first blinking light but I have owned a lot of laser printers and was pretty sure that the warning light was very conservative (and maybe a ploy to get more cartridge sales.) Good job, Daniel.

33. MCC says:

thanks so much!!! it works!!

34. Angela says:

Thank you! This work brilliantly on the first try!

35. hoque says:

I have been trying all day long to fix this problem nothing work.In the manual didn’t say anything about this.Thank you so much for your your solution it’s really work.

36. Carla says:

Thank you very much for your help!!

37. Marina says:

I so appreciate this!!! It worked great. My starter cartridge also last down to nothing!

38. Ruha says:

FAntastic! It worked!

39. bob teatow says:

1. Works for me. Just had to press and hold GO after closing up, to print test/status page and return the printer to “online” status.

2. Bill the complainer – didn’t dig very deep. If you pull out the toner&drum assembly you’ll see the green buttons/levers/tabs are on the drum part, the toner cartridge comes out that is replaced (or hacked and refilled) more often. When it’s time for a drum, consider buying a whole new unit – right now (2014) the entire printer can be purchased and shipped within the USA (Amazon) for about $100.

40. Cody Mullahy says:

Perfect! Thanks for the info! Worked great!

41. elva says:

u rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i don’t know hoy u could come up with this solution but it really worked!! thank you so much!!!

42. Simon says:

I was worried that this might wipe my network configuration ( and that’s a pain to set up again), but it did not. After performing this procedure, my network configuration is still intact, and I can print again. Thanks!

43. Jessica says:

So I followed the instructions, pressing 5 times, then 6. the ready like is green now, but every time I hit print, it does nothing… any suggestions???