Brother HL2270DW Toner Cartridge Reset Procedure

Have a Brother HL2270DW laser printer. Great printer, except that the starter cartridge lasted a measly 210 pages.

First, I tried this. Which didn’t work.
Then I ordered these inexpensive replacement cartridges from Amazon. Wish me luck.
Then I found this solution, which works. The post, originally by Phiolle, says:

Please do the following steps to reset the toner sensor.

– Open the front cover and leave open while completing the following steps.
– Turn the printer off.
– Hold the ‘go’ button while turning the printer on. All lights should be on.
– Release the ‘go’ button (or “start’ button).
– Press the ‘go’ button (or “start’ button) 2 times.
– Pause. All panel lights should be on.
– Press the ‘go’ button (or “start’ button) 5 times.
The toner light should be off. (error may be flashing)
The paper light should be on or flashing.
– Close cover. The ready light should be the only light on.

It works. Quoted here for posterity and google-ability.

206 Responses to Brother HL2270DW Toner Cartridge Reset Procedure

1. fisher says:

Thank you, thank you! I was about to discard this printer, had another printer selected and was about to press the “Buy” button – when something told me to check online and I found this post.

2. Jill Boski says:

Thank you! This worked great. I really appreciate your help. I bought this printer only because I had an extra toner cartridge and was really sad when it didn’t work at first.

3. MK says:

thanks works!

4. Winston says:

Wow! Its works. My “Brother” printer which uses a TN-2060 toner refuses to work and keep indicating that it is out of toner even though I replaces it with a new one. After numerous attempts of taking in and out the toner, I eventually thought of throwing away the entire set including the new toner, when I decided to google for help. Thanks guys. I think “Brother” should include these steps in their operation manual for the sake of all their customers.

5. Asif Bhorania says:

Thanks !! It worked , Great Stuff

6. Brian Collin says:

You’re a real star, Daniel. This is the second time ive had to google your helpful page and it’s worked again.