Brother HL2270DW Toner Cartridge Reset Procedure

Have a Brother HL2270DW laser printer. Great printer, except that the starter cartridge lasted a measly 210 pages.

First, I tried this. Which didn’t work.
Then I ordered these inexpensive replacement cartridges from Amazon. Wish me luck.
Then I found this solution, which works. The post, originally by Phiolle, says:

Please do the following steps to reset the toner sensor.

– Open the front cover and leave open while completing the following steps.
– Turn the printer off.
– Hold the ‘go’ button while turning the printer on. All lights should be on.
– Release the ‘go’ button (or “start’ button).
– Press the ‘go’ button (or “start’ button) 2 times.
– Pause. All panel lights should be on.
– Press the ‘go’ button (or “start’ button) 5 times.
The toner light should be off. (error may be flashing)
The paper light should be on or flashing.
– Close cover. The ready light should be the only light on.

It works. Quoted here for posterity and google-ability.

245 Responses to Brother HL2270DW Toner Cartridge Reset Procedure

1. fisher says:

Thank you, thank you! I was about to discard this printer, had another printer selected and was about to press the “Buy” button – when something told me to check online and I found this post.

2. Jill Boski says:

Thank you! This worked great. I really appreciate your help. I bought this printer only because I had an extra toner cartridge and was really sad when it didn’t work at first.

3. MK says:

thanks works!

4. Winston says:

Wow! Its works. My “Brother” printer which uses a TN-2060 toner refuses to work and keep indicating that it is out of toner even though I replaces it with a new one. After numerous attempts of taking in and out the toner, I eventually thought of throwing away the entire set including the new toner, when I decided to google for help. Thanks guys. I think “Brother” should include these steps in their operation manual for the sake of all their customers.

5. Asif Bhorania says:

Thanks !! It worked , Great Stuff

6. Brian Collin says:

You’re a real star, Daniel. This is the second time ive had to google your helpful page and it’s worked again.

7. Bob says:

I wish I’d tried this on my MFC-8810DW this afternoon. It’s only a few months old, but completely shut down with a “replace toner” error. I had several cartridges in reserve but it simply wouldn’t recognize them as full.

Fortunately, I bought it at Costco, so I just took it back for a return.

8. Rita says:

wow can’t believe it. it worked. that was just ridiculous!! but thank you very much!

9. Ed Pritchett says:

Works Great! Thanks so much!

10. More says:

Very nice post, I certainly love this site, keep on it!

11. My rather long internet search has finally been compensated with professional facts and techniques to share with my partners.

12. landscapers says:

There are some fascinating points in this article however I don’t know if I see all of them heart to heart. There’s some validity however I’ll take hold an opinion until I look into it further. Great article, thanks and we hope to see more! Added to my Feedburner account as well.

13. Learn More says:

It’s hard to find knowledgeable individuals on this topic, but you seem like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks

14. Abraham says:

Hi there to every body, it’s my first go to see of this website; this blog contains remarkable and actually good information in support
    of visitors.

15. This works!!!! I’m so excited not to have to go through the hassle of sending the toner cartridge back or taking the printer in for repair.

16. aashish says:

On following the entire set of instructions, the toner gets reset for 1 min. And again starts showing toner low.

Kindly help me.

17. aashish says:

Following the instructions solves the purpose but for just 1 min. I again is showing the same thing.

Kindly help. HL-L2320D

18. Ken says:

Thanks!
    RTFM (read the fine [service] manual) Didn’t think about a reset option.
    6 times for a standard cart.
    7 times for a high cap. cart.

19. Caroline says:

Amazing – I was pulling my hair out trying to get it to work! Thank you so much!

20. Frans says:

Thank you very much… we have 4 of these Brothers.. this problem is fixed thanks too you. Now searching to fix one with a network problem.

21. Jaxon says:

I wondered if you do link outreach on the blog?
    Most people urge people not to do that now
    Shared this on FB wall, very good

22. Julie Semones says:

So I must be the only one this doesn’t work for…so frustrated! I’ve tried it 5 times now, and each time the toner light comes back on!

23. BarryS says:

Thanks Daniel. It worked to the extent that the ready light was lit up and ready to go but my iMac said that the printer was offline. Turning the machine (HL 22400) off and on again and pressing the Go button worked and it is all go now.

24. Phil says:

You’re awesome. THANKS!

25. Sean says:

Worked perfectly! Thanks so much!

26. John Nieurzyla says:

Thank you, I live in Philippines, and your site is a godsend to me, and my HL-2240D

Saved a lot of grief and costs.

27. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about fitness.
    Regards

28. Julie says:

Can’t believe it works !!!!

29. Kara says:

Thank you so much! I knew there was no way we were out of toner, and now we’ve finally got the printer reset, thanks to your help.

30. Rachel Rodriguez says:

10/16/15 I followed the steps Daniel wrote. But my BROTHER HL-2240. Still won’t print. Should I have the Toner Cartridge inserted before I start the steps.
    I was using Toner Cartridge TN450-OW. But last week was sold a AP-B0450 cartridge at the same store I purchased the machine and the TN-450-OW.
    What’s the difference. The AP-B0450 cartridge is much smaller, but cost the same??
    Thanks for someones help.

31. Linda Llewellyn says:

Thanks Daniel,

I have the 2300D mode and this is not working for it. Any suggestions?

Ta

32. Manfred says:

YES YES YES – THANK YOU!!!!!
    This was the solution. I went mad this morning -you saved my life…..

Great Job!

Manfred

33. Rachel Rodriguez says:

My Bros. HL-2240 (no letters after model). I followed the steps for the HL-2240DL. But the machine still will not work. I have no paper lite on this remanufactured Bros model? Does that make a difference? Help??

34. brian says:

For the Brother HL-L2300D, try the instruction here:

Turn the printer off, turn the printer on. In the short time when the ready light is solid with no other lights before the toner light turns on (it’s about a 2-3 second window), hit the ready button exactly 7 times (as described at link above). It worked for me! I ended up turning off the status monitor too. At first it would print normal (mission accomplished), but toner light on solid with ready, and then 5 minutes later the toner light turned off.

35. Paul says:

This worked for my Brother HL-2170W. Thank you!

36. James says:

Worked perfectly! I have refilled my own cartridges for a couple years now and have not had this problem. Was ready to junk it. Thank you very much!

37. Simon says:

IT WORKED !! thank you

38. Pierre says:

You rock!! Truly upset at Brother for guaranteeing we have to pay for another cartridge when the one I have prints perfectly. We are finally back to the good old days of being able to decide for ourselves if we’re satisfied with the print quality.

Thanks so much!

39. Herb Sch says:

My HL-22700W is now working again! Even with a fresh toner the toner light would not go off. Now hope it will last as it has been an excellent printer. Thank you very much for the procedure on how to reset.

40. Jules says:

THANK YOU!!! I bought a new cartridge but when I put it in it gave me the “replace toner” error. The old cartridge wouldn’t work either. You saved my usually trusty printer from being thrown out the window.

41. Fred says:

Hi Dan,
    how to reset a Brother MFC-J245 he cant detect the BK ink Cartridge refilled.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Fred

42. Dave says:

Thank you so much for the instructions.

43. Gary says:

Good news the procedure also works on the HL-2170W printer too.

After a brown out, all the lights flashed repeatedly. The procedure outlined above corrected the problem.

Thank you!

44. Coni Wink says:

After I get it to work, I stand on left foot and hop 3 times. Then stop, put foot down. Then I stand on right foot and hop 2 times, turning around once as I go. It’s SWELL!!!

Thank you man — you’re the ONE.