Brother HL2270DW Toner Cartridge Reset Procedure

Have a Brother HL2270DW laser printer. Great printer, except that the starter cartridge lasted a measly 210 pages.

First, I tried this. Which didn’t work.
Then I ordered these inexpensive replacement cartridges from Amazon. Wish me luck.
Then I found this solution, which works. The post, originally by Phiolle, says:

Please do the following steps to reset the toner sensor.

– Open the front cover and leave open while completing the following steps.
– Turn the printer off.
– Hold the ‘go’ button while turning the printer on. All lights should be on.
– Release the ‘go’ button (or “start’ button).
– Press the ‘go’ button (or “start’ button) 2 times.
– Pause. All panel lights should be on.
– Press the ‘go’ button (or “start’ button) 5 times.
The toner light should be off. (error may be flashing)
The paper light should be on or flashing.
– Close cover. The ready light should be the only light on.

It works. Quoted here for posterity and google-ability.

319 Responses to Brother HL2270DW Toner Cartridge Reset Procedure

1. Amr Makanya says:

Thanks a lot it works.

2. Lauren says:

Thanks so much! Worked perfectly.

3. Merv says:

Worked first time 🙂 Thank you !

4. donald ODell says:

Your the best!

5. Leslie M. says:

I love you.

6. dennis connors says:

toner light is still on and I bought a brother replacment toner any thoughts after this issue?

7. Toni says:

Worked for me in 2018 .Thanks!

8. Daddy Rabbit says:

Worked, thank you!

9. bob w, says:

Thank you it worked on my brother printer 2270DW

10. John G says:

Worked fine until the toner light came back on! Tried three times.

11. emmu says:

You are the greatest person on the internet, ever.

12. George Tabby says:

I did this three times with no luck, I still have a blinking toner light!

13. Ben1265 says:

As weird as it sounds, this does work… Thanks!

14. MTECH says:

Thanks a lot. It’s working very well and still now its working.

15. I read this article and knew the new things. this is very interesting seriously. I want to know more about this topic from this website.

16. Hi there! Amazing content nice work.
    I do post health-related articles that can help people to maintain a healthy lifestyle, Feel free to check my site.

Thanks a lot!

17. Sj RICHARDS says:

Worked for me also. Thanks

18. Brother Printer User says:

Thanks for posting this. I attempted, and it did not work for me, as it turns out I purchased an aftermarket toner cartridge. Brother support (reluctantly) shared the following slightly modified procedure that worked for my situation with an aftermarket toner cartridge. I thought I would share here for others in a similar situation:

Do the following for a one time manual reset of the toner cartridge:

a. A toner manual reset should only be performed on NEW, out of the box toner cartridges. Performing the manual reset on a used toner can seriously affect the future print quality of the toner cartridge.

b. Turn off the power switch on the machine. Unplug the USB cable from the machine.

c. Open the front cover. Be sure to open the front cover, not the manual feed slot cover.

d. While holding down the GO button, power the machine back on. Continue holding down the GO button until you confirm the Toner, Drum and Error LEDs are on and the Ready LED is off.

e. When the Ready LED turns off, release the GO button. All of the LEDs will turn off.

f. After all LEDs turn off, press the GO button 2 times. The Toner, Drum and Error LEDs will turn on.

g. Press the GO button 7 times. All LEDs turn off and then the Error LED will start flashing.

h. When the Error LED starts flashing, close the front cover. The Error LED will turn off and the Ready LED will flash briefly.

i. Verify the Ready LED is on steady and the Toner LED is off. If the Toner LED is still on, cycle the machines power off and on.

19. Rick Jones says:

Well explained. And very useful information, Amazing work.